Friday, October 12, 2012

Scheduled and fun together

Is it a reality that sometimes time is flying away, when other times it is just going?

This semester I am  more than happy with my course schedule. I could not find enough time for writing about my impressions about them, but really would like to share.

 I am taking elective courses that are very interesting to me.  Environmental issues & climate change, IR in movies and GENDER in IR are my favorites.


Environmental class is pretty funny, though it has nothing to do with International Relations:)) We are choosing and observing a particular area in campus, then writing a report about observation, about change in temperature and environmental changes overall.
For exp, today we went to Bilkent lake. The Lake is artificial, but pretty big with a great view.
We have a very nice professor, she is from United States. Environmentalist, vegetarian, against usage of cars and mobile phones, but still using internet , at least in order to contact us :) We have a mutual sympathy I guess maybe because of my interest to the subject, she chose me as her assistant.

My goal for the near future is to make more people to be educated in Gender issues and their equality!

 I fell in love with my Gender in Ir course professor. His name is Tore Frougner. He is from Norway. I knew him before, because he was my Erasmus coordinator, but did not know him personally, more specifically,  his ideas about social issues such as "Gender difference"  for example :)
First of all,  he is full of energy even in 8.40 classes: drinking coffee in his big coffee pot, while discussing  the subject very passionately with the whole class. I should say, his voice is getting very load sometimes, but it is priceless for the morning class-keeping me awake :)
Secondly, he can see the world from the women' perspective. Not everyone could interpret the development  of the gender relations as good as he does. He is building empathy, which is the best way to perceive and go to the depths of any subject. Probably, that is a main reason why he is giving that course.
 He is the very successful in convincing, he is very smart to pursue a person to make a link and make a distinction between brainwashing and reliable statements.
I can not tell that I am learning a lot in this class, but the way he is organizing his ideas makes a perfect structure in my brain about a knowledge that I already knew.

For example, I knew about feminist movements; but did not think about its causes.

Well, I agree that wars are terrible. But everything happens for a reason. Wars, especially second World War is the most important cause for the feminist insurgence.
When he was talking about wars, I remembered my granny's stories about world war period. She is a great example for that. When my granny lost her father she started working, in 13 years old she was working in few places at the same time. She was the eldest child in the family and everyone expected her to earn for piece of bread.
She was a leader everywhere, in every stage of her life. You know why? Because expectations from her was high enough since her childhood and she was trying to meet their expectations and needs. Not something else, but definitely THIS makes her to be successful,  to be the head of the family throughout her life even now, in 85 years old! :)

Society or our own families expect man to be strong, active,smart, leader, when woman beautiful, sensible, honest, gracious etc, etc.
Thanks to LIFE, thanks to Wars, difficulties of 20th century, that made a rise of women position in society.

Another example,

People used to think that women are not engaged in politics, because they are too emotional.
Do you really think that emotional people are far from being rational? Or do you think that a word "emotional" has that limited meaning of "sensitive" that generally is accepted as a "weak person"?!

Men are at least as emotional as women are, but showing it in different forms.

Let's see

Maybe men are not always crying when they are getting angry or sad but they are crashing something, beating or screaming.
Did you know that men are twice more likely to commit a crime than women and to drink alcohol?
Men are engaged in sexual harassment and rape. The reason is not a sexual desire. The reason relies on the negative emotions that they have inside.

When women are getting off their negative emotions by crying, men are beating, heating, in extreme cases committing crimes and rapes.

Emotions are natural for both men and women. Please, tell something different next time when you will mention about rationality and emotions that can determine success of men in Politics.


Because, rationality has nothing to do with emotions.

If you have this course in your University, I would like to advice you to take Gender in Ir course, not depending on where you are studying at.

No comments:

Post a Comment